Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Returning to Haiti - our reunion with Matthew


After much anticipation and a month of "being still" and behaving we finally got to return to Haiti - and what a trip it was!!
The month of February was filled with many hours of heartache watching the news reports of Haiti and the devastation. It was extremely difficult knowing because of my health and no travel into the country I had to sit and "be still." For most of you that know me, well that was not an easy job - but I did succeed and because of that success I have completely healed and feel like myself again. I told one of my sisters that I felt normal again and she laughed out loud and said "You have never been normal". Well, I am feeling as normal as I can be.

On March 5 Dell left Rock Rapids in a 33 foot straight truck filled with household goods for our home in Haiti. It was filled to the brim - furniture, kitchen table, stove, refrigerator, towels, sheets, lamps, beds and just a few things for Matthew!!!! He drove over 1780 miles down to Ft. Lauderdale, no breakdowns, no bad weather and he arrived early to relax. Thank you Jesus. Our family met up with him on March 9 to fly to Haiti on the 10th.

What a trip we were blessed with. We arrived safely and before going to the mission our driver took us around Port Au Prince. The pictures on t.v. were helpful for we Americans to try to comprehend what was going on there - but til you see it with your very eyes - you can't begin to imagine the devastation, the pain in many of the Haitians eyes, the loss and how do they possibly move on, and where do they even begin to rebuild??

We got to Mission of Hope around 3:00 that day and I think I had Matthew in my arms by 3:10!! Dell and I picked up Matthew from the Orphanage and we could not believe how he had changed. He smiled, he hugged, and it was so overwhelming the tears would not stop. I could not stop kissing his little face. The face and eyes that stole my heart in December. He actually had more than skin laying on his bones - he had a little bit of fat!!! We immediately took him up to the guesthouse so our children could meet him. No words that I could write on this page could describe how incredibly awesome it was to watch them with him.

It was a week filled with lots of work, warm/HOT weather, lots of stories told to us regarding the Earthquake, and moments and moments of memories made with Matthew. We dedicated Matthew to the Lord on Sunday March 14. Our work team that we traveled with attended the worship service at the Mission and then returned to the hotel. Our team gathered and we praised the Lord for bringing Matthew into our life. Sharon the founder of the Mission and an ordained Pastor and the woman that was with me when we rescued Matthew in December baptized him, blessing him and asking the Lord to watch over him. God has big plans for Matthew and our family is going to be richly blessed watching him grow into His plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment